• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
bobgruen
Junior Boarder

Scoop - inside from the outside. Fri Red Rocks

#66593 3 years ago
The scene of Shakedown was great at red rocks on night one. The lines had people waiting early. Some as early at 11am, and someone with an air mattress from Thursday night!(unverified). The rush came in, with people saving way too much space for a GA show. Almost crazy, but what is what is. Also, from the first row-5th row the sound was good. From 5th to 15th is was real good. From the 15 thru the 25 (reserved) and beyond the sound was SPECTACULAR!

Rumor was that Bob had Laryngitis. I will get back to this.

Jeff continues to absolutely play like a man possessed. (Listen to the late 2nd set Sugaree from Montana for yourself)

"Aiko" opener was perfect to start the party weekend. The place was rocking and everyone was smiling. Bobbys "Greatest Story" kept everyone going nuts. Then they settled into a "Cold Rain and Snow" which was a little slower but still had the crowed juiced. This was the song that a few troopers agreed that Bob's voice was more raspier and ruff during the chorus. He did a very good Me and My Uncle, with the cheer coming from the first verse. ("Me and my uncle went ridin' down, South Colorado, West Texas bound")

Then a number of the fans experienced the first real special part of the show. Ramble on Rose is one of those change verse/split verse songs with Bob and JK. Some people like this for some songs, others dont. Back in 2009 this was all Bobby. Then in 2010 JK sang a verse here and there. Then in 2011 they would go back and forth. Well this magical night, JK was left to his OWN to sing every verse. At the second verse when JK passes to Bob, he did his normal glance and Bob stayed back and nodded for JK towards JK's mic. It was spectacular. Someone from the front actually said "Thanks Bob". (Kind of being a dick) Anyhow - it will be nice to see what happens in the next Ramble on Rose in about 9 shows from now.

JK kept his strength on a LOSER. An extended Loser had the lights on and everyone on their feet.

After resting up his voice Bob ripped a Money for Gasoline. This is most Rat Doggers favorite but stopped a bunch of dancers in the seats. This is in a class of songs that JK just rips it up, not holding anything back (or being held back- as some would say). I think a lot of people like this song better, after hearing it at Red Rocks. The Money for Gasoline alleged “pool when played” was one by Sam I think… Nice Sam. (Unconfirmed)

Phil closed out a set with a BOX of Rain.

Let me briefly say that the second set filled the mystery mic with Chris Robinson. After the You Aint Going Nowhere opener, Phil called Chris over to him and Chris got close, and closer, then Phil gave him a BIG kiss – much to Chris’s surprise. Chris song Hard to Handle and Two Souls in Communion (Stranger). Chris had done this with Futhur before. As a side note found on dead.net about Stanger- “Played by the Grateful Dead a dozen times in 1972, with Pigpen singing the lead vocals. Until recently, it wasn't entirely clear whether or not this was a Pigpen original, or what the title was - most setlists had the title as just "Two Souls In Communion". But when it was first released on a Grateful Dead album (as one of the bonus tracks on "Europe '72" on the box set The Golden Road (1965-1972)), the title was given as "The Stranger," with Pigpen confirmed as the author .”

Phil thundered his Cryptical>Other One>Cryptical>Wheel and then Bob played a Supplication real early, which turned into a jam – no lyrics. He saved his voice for a ripping Death Don’t Have no Mercy which at some point smiled towards the camera (video screen).

China/ Ryder the perfect end to a great show at Red Rocks.

Attics was nice and on came the bright lights that scared all of us bugs home….
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, fourwnds, stricken, LBDowling
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Re: Scoop - inside from the outside. Fri Red Rocks

#66600 3 years ago
furthur.jpg

Thanks for the awesome play by play, us couch tour heads are very Grateful. If the rumor that Bob has Laryngitis is true I wonder if they will have another special guest singer tonight? I wouldn't be opposed. I'm listening to the Death Don't Have No Mercy right now and Bob voice sounds pretty strong to me. Looking forward to another great show tonight!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#66778 3 years ago
thank you for an actual"review" of the show and not just the setlist.
sounds like an awsome show, no encore huh? must have rocked out till the very end. sometimes i prefer no encore, if the boys have worked up a big head of steam, why blow it just to walk off stage for 4 min. to come back and play touch or whatever, just keep on goin till the sound man is bout to pull the plug i say.
Chester
More or less in line

#66789 3 years ago
illuminaughty wrote:
thank you for an actual"review" of the show and not just the setlist.
sounds like an awsome show, no encore huh? must have rocked out till the very end. sometimes i prefer no encore, if the boys have worked up a big head of steam, why blow it just to walk off stage for 4 min. to come back and play touch or whatever, just keep on goin till the sound man is bout to pull the plug i say.

Attics of my life was the encore.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds