• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

roof rack cargo carrier

#38608 3 years ago
i am currently in the market for a cargo carrier to put on the roof rack of my subaru wagon...anyone know much about these? looking for something reasonably affordable, durable, able to handle the elements of a west coast tour
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: roof rack cargo carrier

#38610 3 years ago
I have thule roof mounts and cross bars for my 05 outback.....they are perfect. I also got an old school euro thule rack off ebay that works nice.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#38611 3 years ago
splatter_face wrote:
I have thule roof mounts and cross bars for my 05 outback.....they are perfect. I also got an old school euro thule rack off ebay that works nice.

i'm sorry i mean the actual cargo carrier itself...

need more storage
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#38628 3 years ago
2 things the roof racks and carriers will really cut down on your MPG 's and if you do use one make sure the at least 2 straps are secured to the car itself not the rack, the car,the mounting bolts are know to pull out from the wind shear,just saw someting about this in consumers reports i think..the standard is the clamshell from sears.i would suggest going to amazon and reading some reviews.but the more weight you add the more drag you create killing gas mileage
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#38720 3 years ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
2 things the roof racks and carriers will really cut down on your MPG 's and if you do use one make sure the at least 2 straps are secured to the car itself not the rack, the car,the mounting bolts are know to pull out from the wind shear,just saw someting about this in consumers reports i think..the standard is the clamshell from sears.i would suggest going to amazon and reading some reviews.but the more weight you add the more drag you create killing gas mileage

thanks for the info...

i've already got a roof rack that was built onto my subaru, i just need the carrier...i'm not going to really be packing anything more than normal, i'd just like to have some space in the backseat for folks to be able to sit--hard to see and maneuver when the back is stuffed to the roof...the gas mileage is not as big of an issue as fitting in the crew and our stuff..good idea to check sears and amazon for some reviews
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#38736 3 years ago
Sears will do you right. If you got the rack, you can tarp and bungee the old school way.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#38752 3 years ago
my subaru has the rack built in it also has hooks under the front and rear bumper that are excellent for ratchet straps to tie down stuff i use to move a 12' jon boat on it.but i recently moved sheetrock and i could feel the wind shear pulling them up so i see what they are saying,wouldnt want ya to loose your stuff on the road trip
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#38759 3 years ago
off topic but we just used one of those sheet rock lifts that you mentioned a little while back 83msg, and those things are so sweet.... we had to hang 4'x12' pieces of 5/8 sheetrock on 12' high ceilings so we definitley needed one.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#38762 3 years ago
MushroomMan wrote:
off topic but we just used one of those sheet rock lifts that you mentioned a little while back 83msg, and those things are so sweet.... we had to hang 4'x12' pieces of 5/8 sheetrock on 12' high ceilings so we definitley needed one.
glad it helped out.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#38823 3 years ago
try looking in your local junkyard
you might be suprized at some of the deals you can find
Time to create page: 2.94 seconds