• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

Re: PLEASE BAND, GIVE US A FUNCTIONAL WEBSITE!!!!!!!

#254242 1 year, 6 months ago
I don't want to sound depressing or anything, but here is my thinking and remember this is just my thinking, I'm not stating anything as fact:

Furthur is not a band that is going to be around much longer (<2 more years).
Furthur was not assembled to become a commercial success, or grow a giant fan base. It was based more on musicianship and sharing that music with others. I'm sure Bob and Phil did not want to create another monster ala the GOGD in the 90's.
Management of Furthur is the worst part of Bob and Phil's job. Remember how much the members of the GD disliked business meetings, and how the decision making caused discourse between the members. They don't want to mess with anything other than the music.
This entire site will probably be shut down within a year after Furthur stops playing.
Why invest in new servers and promote building a "Furthur" fan base when it's going to be so short lived.

It's kinda like the successful small business owner that is close to retirement, and isn't going to sell it. They can afford to go old school, not worry about the competition or advertising, keep it simple, even at the cost of lower sales. Pissed off that they aren't open on Saturdays? Well, they don't have to be open, and they like to enjoy their Saturdays. They can relax with the comfort that the long time customers that they have built up over the years will sustain their business until they finally retire.

Not being able to get on the forum reminds be of getting a constant busy signal on the GOGD's hotline phone # trying to get tour info. Oh well, that's life.
Takin' it in stride!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#254245 1 year, 6 months ago
Strider1 wrote:
I don't want to sound depressing or anything, but here is my thinking and remember this is just my thinking, I'm not stating anything as fact:

Furthur was not assembled to become a commercial success, or grow a giant fan base. It was based more on musicianship and sharing that music with others. I'm sure Bob and Phil did not want to create another monster ala the GOGD in the 90's.
Management of Furthur is the worst part of Bob and Phil's job. Remember how much the members of the GD disliked business meetings, and how the decision making caused discourse between the members. They don't want to mess with anything other than the music.
This entire site will probably be shut down within a year after Furthur stops playing.
Why invest in new servers and promote building a "Furthur" fan base when it's going to be so short lived.

It's kinda like the successful small business owner that is close to retirement, and isn't going to sell it. They can afford to go old school, not worry about the competition or advertising, keep it simple, even at the cost of lower sales. Pissed off that they aren't open on Saturdays? Well, they don't have to be open, and they like to enjoy their Saturdays. They can relax with the comfort that the long time customers that they have built up over the years will sustain their business until they finally retire.

Not being able to get on the forum reminds be of getting a constant busy signal on the GOGD's hotline phone # trying to get tour info. Oh well, that's life.

Thanks and stay in touch!
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Strider1
Platinum Boarder

#254246 1 year, 6 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
Strider1 wrote:

Your welcome and I will. I'm not going anywhere.

Just for s&gs I just checked The Other Ones and The Dead websites, which are both still up. The Other Ones.net community link takes you to Ratdog,org's message board. The Dead.net's community is still up and running. So I guess this site will remain up as well. I wonder how well The Dead.net's site runs? It's managed by Rhino.

In 2006, the Grateful Dead signed a ten-year licensing agreement with Rhino Entertainment. Rhino is managing the Dead's business interests, including the release of musical recordings, merchandising, and marketing. In 2011 Rhino and Grateful Dead Productions began working with Curious Sense to develop an online and mobile social game built on the band's legacy. The band retains creative control and keeps ownership of the music catalog.
Takin' it in stride!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#254248 1 year, 6 months ago
Strider1 wrote:
dr bakes wrote:
Strider1 wrote:

Your welcome and I will. I'm not going anywhere.

Just for s&gs I just checked The Other Ones and The Dead websites, which are both still up. The Other Ones.net community link takes you to Ratdog,org's message board. The Dead.net's community is still up and running. So I guess this site will remain up as well. I wonder how well The Dead.net's site runs? It's managed by Rhino.

In 2006, the Grateful Dead signed a ten-year licensing agreement with Rhino Entertainment. Rhino is managing the Dead's business interests, including the release of musical recordings, merchandising, and marketing. In 2011 Rhino and Grateful Dead Productions began working with Curious Sense to develop an online and mobile social game built on the band's legacy. The band retains creative control and keeps ownership of the music catalog.

"thanks and stay in touch" is how they ended their recorded message announcing tours.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Strider1
Platinum Boarder

#254253 1 year, 6 months ago
dr bakes wrote:

"thanks and stay in touch" is how they ended their recorded message announcing tours.

I wondered why you said that.

I had forgotten that they used to say that.

Now I know why when I kept reading it, it sounded familiar.
Takin' it in stride!
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Strider1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr bakes
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

#254260 1 year, 6 months ago
In my humble opinion I think this site is functionally set up wrong and not in need of new servers, nor do I think it was set up cheaply due to it being thought of as temporary or short lived. The ratdog site and the other ones site were set up years ago, I'm sure using moderately capable servers for those days, but antiquated for the time this site was set up, yet they work well. I'm not an IT guy but I think this site could use one to look at its core workings.
This site has ties to Phil and Jill and I don't beleive they are aware that it works very poorly at best. I also believe that if they did know they would do something about it. I've been considering bringing it to their attention but I don't know enough about it nor do I want to be the guy that asks them to spend loads of money.
If we have a board member that could look at it for free and diagnose the situation, that I could bring to their attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#254325 1 year, 6 months ago
I agree with Tim that I really don't think Phil and Jill have any idea this site works as poorly as it does. Even if Furthur isn't a long-term venture (and I agree with much of what Strider said related to that), this site still runs more poorly than ANY other website, it's almost bizarre. So this is why I keep tweeting (politely) the band, and encouraging other to do so, with hopes that that might get some attention over the heads of the Forum admins, who clearly couldn't care less. I noticed the Moderator hasn't even signed in for a few weeks. We know how infrequently they post, I wonder if they truly even appreciate how ridiculously bad it is?

I'm not sure how anyone without access to the system could diagnose anything, but I think Phil and Jill are both getting ripped off since they're paying for this, and I like to think that they'd upset and want to rectify the situation if they were aware of it. I've tweeted and even emailed the admins, TXR, TRI and SWMH (SMH actually sent a sympathetic reply, but no action). I really care about this community, and I just plain have a great time posting here and especially having set list parties. It sucks when the board doesn't function well enough to allow it. Anyway, Tim, if you have an opening to comfortably bring it up, or if any FFF has any ideas how to directly let them know about the problem, please try and do so, at least imho.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#254330 1 year, 6 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
Maybe if folks try to lay off the pictures and joint smoking emoticons during shows the board would be less likely to crash.

LOL i don't know why but this is funny.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds